Fiona Gandiwa Magaya : Head of Education, Training, Women and Gender Department and Acting Legal Advisor
• To be one of the best organised, professional, developed and efficient Arm of the labour movement ZCTU.
POLICIES GUIDING THE DEPARTMENT’S MANDATE:
EDUCATION AND TRAINING POLICY:
• Capacity building of National Centre and its Affiliates through quality education and training;
• Strengthen and create awareness on the trade union ideology, principles and values.
• Mainstream gender in all education and training programmes;
• Organize, educate and develop cadres in- order to strengthen the bargaining power of the working class and access to rights.
ZCTU GENDER POLICY
• Labour should not be divided or discriminated on grounds of gender;
• To consistently advocate for equal opportunities for all workers.
• Advocate for equal treatment of all vulnerable workers.
• Education & mobilization of effective participation of women and other marginalised workers including those in the informal sector;
• To fight for the eradication of discrimination and sexual harassment at work.
CHILD LABOUR POLICY:
• Committed to ensuring protection of children from abuse & child labour;
• Play a pivotal role in the elimination of child labour.
Also primarily guided by the ZCTU Constitution, which is supreme and mission statement which seek to defend and promote rights and interests of the working masses of Zimbabwe.
DEPARTMENTAL MISSION STATEMENT
• To effectively organise, represent, educate, train and develop membership in order to promote, advance, and safeguard the economic, social and constitutional freedoms of workers in Zimbabwe, by strengthening the Capacity of the National Centre and its Affiliates, while promoting gender equality, equity, empowerment of the marginalised, unity, integrity and the working class ideology.
Education, Training and Legal Representation shall be guided and supported by democratic systems of governance that are transparent and accountable focusing on broad dimensional aspects of:
• Social, Economic, Political and Legal
• Cultural and Scientific
• Vocational and Technical
• Gender Equality and Equity; and;
Shall always be geared to address existing workers’ needs and interests through promoting social justice in the workplace.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE DEPARTMENT:
Aim: Provide quality legal services and champion the development of quantitative and qualitative education and training that is inclusive, gender responsive and beneficial to the ZCTU membership and society.
1. To create a standard and systematic, human centred approach in planning, organising and implementing education and training functions and empowerment of the marginalised.
2. To defend and protect rights of marginalised workers, eliminate sexual harassment and discrimination at work, eliminate child labour and mainstream gender.
3. Build Confidence and enhance effective participation of women, youths and other marginalised workers in decision making including all other development processes.
FUNCTIONS EDUCATION, TRAINING, WOMEN AND GENDER
1. Research and assess workers’ and trade union education and Training needs.
2. Plan, Coordinate, Organise, Implement, Monitor and Evaluate Education, Training and Conferencing activities.
3. Design, develop and maintain awareness, information, education and Training materials.
4. Develop and maintain workers’ and trade union education and training curriculum and course syllabi.
5. Develop capacity of ZCTU and its Affiliates to be able to achieve the workers agenda.
6. Confidence building and skills development of women, youths, workers with disabilities and other marginalised workers to promote their effective participation in the trade union and community;
7. Implements all programmes for gender awareness and mainstreaming;
8. Designing of mentoring programmes between the older generation and young workers.
9. Conscientise ZCTU and affiliate members on their Human and Trade Union Rights and all other rights enshrined at law;
10. Co-ordinating & capacitating of gender focal persons & women committees at the ZCTU and its Affiliates.
11. Create awareness on child rights, child labour and design effective campaigns towards the elimination of child labour.
12. Networking with progressive women organisations, trade unions and educational institutions at national, regional & international level;
13. Representing ZCTU at the Zimbabwe National Gender Forum.
14. Influence and provide guidance on the formulation of education and gender policies by affiliates
15. Influence and provide guidance on the formulation of trade union strategic plans by ZCTU and its affiliates
16. Designing and implementing of campaigns that seek to promote and empower women, youths, PWDs and other marginalised workers, promote gender equality and elimination of discrimination as well as GBV.
KEY LEGAL FUNCTIONS:
1. Give effective and quality legal representation and advice to ZCTU and Affiliates.
2. Liaise with external lawyer for the execution of ZCTU cases and for advice on key matters;
3. Report regularly to ILO, ITUC, SATUCC on the violations and status of Human and Trade Union Rights in Zimbabwe.
4. Coordinate and organise for ZCTU participation at the ILO Conference and at all international platforms where human and trade union rights and international labour standards are discussed.
5. Coordinate and organise the participation of ZCTU at the Tripartite Negotiating forum.
6. Coordinate the paralegal training Programme of ZCTU;
7. Maintain a database of case law for the benefit of ZCTU and Affiliates.
STAFF COMPLIMENT OF THE DEPARTMENT
The Department comprises of a total of 8 officers based in different provinces where ZCTU has offices i.e. a Head of department, five regional officers and two secretaries/ assistants as follows:
1. Fiona Gandiwa Magaya - Head of Department situated at Head Office in Harare
2. Dallas Nyandoro - Western Regional Officer (Office in Bulawayo)
3. Patience Jongwe – Northeastern Regional Officer (Office in Harare)
4. John Karu – Central Regional Officer (Office in Gweru)
5. Simon Katsande – Northern Regional Officer(Office in Chinhoyi)
6. Elliot Meso – Southern Regional Officer (Office in Masvingo)
7. Tatenda Kadiki – Eastern Regional Officer (Mutare Office)
8. Precise Tshuma – Secretary based at Bulawayo Offices.